Nic and I picked a bunch of blueberries today. We wandered over to Westward Orchards in Harvard. Pick your own blueberries are 3.99 a pound and are gorgeous! July is the month for blueberries in Massachusetts. We decided to have an all things blueberry day. On the agenda: muffins, smoothies and blueberry pancakes. Now that we've exhausted our first picking we will certainly be back!
I spent a little time looking for a good muffin recipe and came across this one. After testing this blueberry muffin recipe is a KEEPER. It's a must try if you like blueberries & muffins. The original source can be found here. I've pasted the recipe below for my personal future reference.
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries, washed, drained and picked over
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cream the butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar until light.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder, and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Crush 1/2 cup blueberries with a fork, and mix into the batter. Fold in the remaining whole berries.
- Line a 12 cup standard muffin tin with cupcake liners, and fill with batter. Sprinkle the 3 teaspoons sugar over the tops of the muffins, and bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove muffins from tin and cool at least 30 minutes. Store, uncovered, or the muffins will be too moist the second day, if they last that long.