Searched the old internet this morning to find a new cake to make. Found this recipe and must say we will make this again. Andrew declared this the "best cake you've ever made". While it was rather complicated in mixing order it came together fairly quickly. The recipe, pasted below from the Craving Comfort site. I adjusted the recipe a tiny bit to what I had on hand.
I also found a super cool mini bundt cake pan on clearance at Home Goods. This recipe allowed me to make 1 bundt cake (filled about 3/4 way) and 3 mini bundt cakes. Nice!
SERVES 16 , 1 bunt.
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe (I used 5 ripe bananas)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk - see replacement below
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups icing (or powdered) sugar
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Grease and flour pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla. (my helper put in all 3 eggs at once, it didn't seem to hurt the cake)
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake. in preheated 275 F. degree oven.
- Check it in about one hour, Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (it took my bunt 1 hour and 15 min - the mini bundts were ready in 45 minutes)
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist. (I did not do this due to time and the cake was very moist).
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice. Measure 1 scant cup of milk. Stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. ...
- Use the buttermilk. Use this substitute (including curdled bits) as you would buttermilk in your recipe.