Deck the halls

We did a little decorating (and dejunking at the same time) this week. We got our tree trimmed, stocked hung and house decked out!

I tried to put out all the decorations this year and got rid of anything that we didn't use. It seemed to work and the house feels less cluttered.

I'm taking an online class (12 artsy ornaments) and have made this cool star for our mantel. Nicholas helped and he made this smaller version.  




Halloween banner


















Halloween is one if my favorite holidays because it is just so fun to decorate for.

Last week I met up with Paula and we stopped by Tai Pan. The place was decked out with crazy Halloween decor. Usually I find Tai pan somewhat inexpensive - not this time around. While there we saw a super cute, small Halloween banner. Not wanting to spend the $30.00 we decided to make one. 

After little time and a lot of conversation we finished our banners. Much cuter and a little larger than the original. Besides our time, it was basically FREE.  Another excuse to use up some of my crafting stash.  

Most product is SU. The base is made from large manilla folder tags (penny a piece). Letters use black glitter paper.

Paula's house always has cool decor. Check out this amazing Halloween advent she made a few years ago (hopefully you can see it well enough with the crappy phone photo). Totally awesome!


Foyer Light

When we moved into this home the first thing I wanted to update was our foyer light. Four years later we finally did it! Out with that huge contractor chandelier!!!

After an exhaustive light search, I finally found one I liked at West Elm (eclipse chandelier). We had an electrician come to work on some wiring for our basement bathroom, and while he was here we had him tag on this additional project.

I love how simple and understated this light is. The blown glass is perfect for hiding dust. amazing how a simple update can make such a huge difference. 

Thanks Joellyn for validating the light choice!


Magic of paint

I love paint! The smell, the action, & how it looks when done. Like magic.

Our entry way railing was on my list to update ever since we moved into this house. The old railing (while nice) is not really my style and I wanted a more modern and updated look. It would have been crazy expensive & silly to replace (it's functionally perfect). Enter paint.

I love how it turned out! And it gave me a chance/reason to pull down all the frames on the wall and clean them. Double win.

We also painted the mantle... More on that later.

Here is a before and after and some alternate views.

BTW - For me phone blogging/phone photos (crappy as they may be) are the way to go... I actually blog real time! This happen now.







Book print wreath



I've had wreath envy for some time now.  Weird, I know.

I recently visited Paula and was inspired by all of her home decor.  Much of her decor is hand made and so cute.  She was given a book print wreath when she worked at Stampin' Up! and I recall then that I wanted one too.  During our visit I got a closer look and decided I was going to make one.  After I left I looked online and found many examples of book wreaths but none were as cool as Paula's. Good thing I snapped phone pictures of hers...  I referenced them many, many, times.

All you need is a wreath base, an old book, stapler and glue gun. It turned out to be fairly easy and just a little time consuming.  My wreath took about 3 hours.  Here are the steps I took if you are interested in making one too.

1. Find and old book you don't care about destroying.  I found a couple of great old readers digest books at the DI (thrift store). The good thing about the readers digest books is that they were printed on CHEAP paper and so the pages are yellowed as if the book is much older.

2.  Find a wreath (again found at the DI).  Doesn't matter what it looks like because you will cover it completely. Attach ribbon to the wreath. I found this easier to do first than attaching to the back after.

3. Tear out all of the pages in the book. My wreath took over 500 pages.

4. Roll fold each page in an S shape and staple once at the bottom (torn end).

5. Start at the back of the wreath and hot glue each folded page around the wreath. Continue gluing, moving the pages forward until it fills up.

6. Randomly fill in pages to make the wreath look a little less organized.  Look for holes and fill in the holes.

7.  Hang.



I enjoyed this so much that I made a smaller version for Kylene's birthday.  For that wreath I tore out pages and cut them in half, again about 250 pages, 500 sheets once cut - this worked perfect for a smaller wreath (time 1.5 hours).

Next I want to make a burlap wreath...